Hey, everyone! Sorry about that accidental hiatus. That thing called school got in the way, and we kind of fell into a blogging slump. But, after today’s ice storm (yay, no school!) we were finally feeling inspired to write something on the blog!
There’s been this tag going around the blog-o-sphere (and booktube sphere!) called 25 Bookish Facts About Me. So, even though we weren’t tagged, we decided to go ahead and write some bookish facts about us! We tag anyone who wants to do it. Let’s begin 😀
- When we were little, we didn’t want to read the Harry Potter books. GASP. I know, what were we thinking? We’d basically watched all the movies before we read the books… It wasn’t until we were 12 and saw HALF-BLOOD PRINCE in theatres that we realized Harry Potter is about so much more than wizardry! And now we’re serious #harrypotter fangirls!
- The book that got me (Sasha) into reading was GEORGE’S MARVELOUS MEDICINE. I would go to the bookstore every time I finished one of Roald Dahl’s books and buy a new one. Look at me, book collectin’ at age seven. Let’s just say I spiraled into a Roald Dahl reading obsession … and I don’t think I ever got out of it.
- Another fact about me personally is that I still love to read children’s books. You might just catch me reading the latest Goosebumps …
- The first YA book we ever discovered was UGLIES by Scott Westerfeld! And now it’s my favourite book ever … 😀
- Sarena’s favourite category is MG, not YA! Even though she mostly reads YA. Her favourite books are by J.K. Rowling and Rick Riordan.
- My favourite YA author is probably Sara Shepard. Yes, I’ve read all 16 PLL books, all of her LYING GAME and THE PERFECTIONIST books. (You could call me a dedicated fangirl.)
- The first-ever ARC we got was from a giveaway Random House Canada was hosting in 2013, for a book called PERFECT by Rachel Joyce. I … still haven’t finished it. (Oops. From what I read, it was really good, though!)
- We talked about this in a different post, but the first book we ever wrote was titled CHICKY PLANET. We still have the journal we wrote it in and everything! 🙂
- Our auto-buy authors are J.K. Rowling, Rick Riordan, Sara Shepard, and Marissa Meyer!
- Sarena looooves Historical Fiction. (Anything by Anne Blankman, Ryan Graudin, Ruta Sepetys … she’ll devour them!)
- Last year we met Kelley Armstrong and talked to her about how she inspired our books (The Pendant Trilogy)! She was super sweet, and was one of the first author signings we ever went to. 🙂
- We had OUR first book signing in July of 2012 for THE GEMSTONE. All our family and friends showed up, and it was super fun! We hope to have many, many more in the future.
- Our favourite genre to write (besides fantasy) is mystery! We love adding mystery subplots to our fantasy novels (you’ll know this if you’ve read THE PENDANT TRILOGY) or just writing mystery in general.
- We’ve been bookstagramming (officially) since 2014! (Our account is sarenasashabooks.) If you creep back to our old 2013 photos, you’ll see that my first pic is a blurry image of CITY OF BONES. Wow, 16-year-old me was a pro-photographer. 😉
- The longest book I’ve ever read is WINTER (827 pages), and the longest book Sarena’s ever read is OUTLANDER (835 pages). And we read both of these in 2015!
- Our favourite snacks to eat while reading is … well, really anything. I might just be eating dinner and sneaking a look at my current read. OR, if I’m REALLY snacking, I’ll be munching on chips or cookies or ROCKETS (mmmm).
- We love it when books somehow incorporate food! (If you’ve read THE WRATH AND THE DAWN, you were probably drooling the entire time, and not just because of Khalid. 😉 )
- Some of our favourite books we’ve ever read were from the library. For example, Sarena loves THE GOLDEN COMPASS, and she loooves that series, though we don’t own it!
- Going off the library thing, we’ve been library-goers for as long as we can remember. And we will forever! 😀
- Another library-related-thing: we’ve been volunteers at different libraries since we were in middle school all the way up till now. 🙂
- We are cookbook lovers! We’ve been collecting them for a while, and we love flipping through the pages and finding new recipes! Our favourite recipe is one from Rachael’s Week in a Day, and it’s Mexican Chicken with Rice!
- We like to dress up as book characters for Halloween! In 2013, we were Parvati & Padma Patil from Harry Potter, and in 2014/2015, we were Camp Half-Blood/Jupiter campers!
- We’ve met quite a few authors over the last year, including: Kelley Armstrong, Morgan Rhodes, Jenny Han, Kevin Sands and R.J. Anderson!
- We’ll be attending the Penguin Teen on Tour signing this Monday. We’ll be meeting Sabaa Tahir, Rachel Hawkins, Alwyn Hamilton, April Genievive Tucholke, and Alison Goodman!
- ANOTHER awesome fact: We recently won an Indigo giveaway in which you can have DINNER with these authors! Yes, we’ll be having dinner with all of the authors listed above, the night of the book signing! It’s going to be an amazing experience, and we cannot wait! ❤
Those are all our bookish facts! If you’d like, you can leave 1 bookish fact about yourself below! Until next time,