It’s that time of year. There are only a few days left in December, so it’s probably timely that we share our 2014 wrap up!
2014 was a hectic but great year. We worked on drafting THE POISONED EMERALD, which was published this past October. That was the last book in our trilogy, so this year is pretty monumental. Finishing a trilogy is hard for many authors. Luckily, we planned and re-planned, and eventually came out with this fantastic book.
We also did a lot of non-bookish things. Graduate high school, start university … all of which has cut into reading time.
Oh, and on the topic of reading–Sasha has read 63 books so far this year (her original goal was 30), which is almost double what she read last year. I (Sarena) read 57 books, just over my goal of 50 books (my original goal was 30 too). WHEW! Now, with certainty … here are our favourite books we read this year!
1. Daughter of Smoke and Bone Trilogy — amazing. AMAZING fantasy. Must read!
2. Order of the Phoenix (5th Harry Potter book) — yes, Sasha just got around to reading this.
3. Sarah’s Key (a fictional WW2 novel). It’ll probably make you cry …
4. Cinder by Marissa Meyer (and the sequel, Scarlet!). Both are epic sci-fi retellings of classic fairy tales (Cinderella and Little Red Riding Hood).
5. Blood of Olympus by Rick Riordan (though we both agree that House of Hades is better).
6. Prisoner of Night and Fog by Anne Blankman. Okay, so I finished this at 12 AM and LOVED IT! Took only 24 hours to read!
7. Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins — perfect for contemporary romance fans!
8. The Balance Keepers #1 by Lindsay Cummings. A perfect MG read reminiscent of Harry Potter and Percy Jackson!
9. Throne of Glass by SJ Maas. High fantasy is one of our loves …
10. Animal Farm by George Orwell. It’ll less than 100 pages and it’s seriously amazing. Classics for the win!
Now that THAT’s wrapped up, here’s a little bit of what we’ve been working on this past November. We participated in NaNoWriMo, where the goal is to write 50k words in a month. And guess what? WE DID IT! And even better, after exams, we finished the manuscript at 65k words. Now, this is only the first draft, meaning you have to plunge all the AWFUL out of it, but we’re sure that we’ve got something great on our hands. Now, we’re heading face-first into revisions. Wish us luck!
If you’re wondering what the book is about … that remains a secret! Though we can say it incorporates our love of food. 😉
We hope you’ve all accomplished something this year, no matter how small it might be. Until next time,