A writer friend of ours named Jim Murray “tagged” us on a new chain blog called THE NEXT BIG THING. Here’s a link to his blog:
Basically, he sent us 10 questions about our book, and we have to tag a few more authors and continue the chain blog. So, here are the questions!
1. What is the working title of your next book?
Our next book is called “The King’s Jewel”, aka the sequel to THE GEMSTONE.
2. Where did the idea for your book come from?
The idea for THE GEMSTONE came after looking at the cover of THE SUMMONING by Kelley Armstrong. Sarena came up with the idea of three gemstones clicking together to form something called a pendant. Then we continued talking about it, and it turned into a real live BOOK!
3. What genre does your book fall under?
Our book is YA/ MG Fantasy. (We love books about magic!)
4. What actors would you choose to play the part of your characters in a movie rendition?
We thought about actors/ actresses a couple times during summer of 2011, but have never really thought about it since. (To be totally honest, when we think of our characters, they don’t have faces…)
5. What is a one-sentence synopsis of your book?
After receiving a mysterious gemstone necklace, Arica Miller finds herself thrown into unthinkable obstacles while facing suspicious school friends and a powerful enemy keen on stealing it.
6. Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?
THE GEMSTONE was self-pubbed, and THE KING’S JEWEL will be, too. But we have thought about traditionally publishing one day!
7. How long did it take you to write the first draft of the manuscript?
It took us 6 months to do the first draft of THE GEMSTONE, but overall it took 2 years total. Same for THE KING’S JEWEL (first draft).
8. What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?
Well, a lot of people have compared it to Harry Potter. I know, that’s a HUGE comparison, but it has the same magic feel.
9. Who or what inspired you to write this book?
Hmm. Tough question. I suppose it came from our love of writing since we were young, or just books in general. We’ve always loved books, and have always loved writing.
10. What else about the book might pique the reader’s interest?
If you love magic or sorcery, this book is for you! It really deals with the aspects of friendship and mystery, and it keeps you hanging on the edge. Not to mention the gigantic cliffhanger!
Thanks for reading this post. We hope you read THE GEMSTONE sometime in your future…
Now, time to tag more authors! Check out their posts for THE NEXT BIG THING!
Firstly, Madison. She’s fourteen and has already self-pubbed two books of her own. (And, she’s AWESOME!)
Secondly, Jen. She’s thirteen and an aspiring author/awesome writer friend!
Hope you enjoy their blog posts!
-Sarena and Sasha